What is a male breast reduction?
Due to genetic factors, hormones, weight gain, or certain medications, men can develop excess breast tissue. This condition, known as gynecomastia, can cause decreased self-esteem. Gynecomastia surgery reduces breast size in men, flattening and enhancing the chest contours.
There are several methods of male breast reduction that Dr. Rodolfo Castillo board-certified plastic surgeon can use. In some cases, when the problem is due to weight gain, liposuction alone may be sufficient.
Liposuction removes excess fat cells. In other cases, especially after adolescence, breast tissue is the one that may have abnormal growth, so Dr. Rodolfo Castillo must create an incision to remove excess breast tissue.
There are a number of different reasons to consider breast reduction in men. Men may choose to consider this aesthetic procedure if:
- The volume of breast tissue has increased as a result of hormonal imbalances
- Breast size increased due to weight fluctuations
- Steroid use resulted in enlarged breasts
- The volume of breast tissue has increased as a result of development during adolescence
In general, any patient who considers male breast reduction should be in good weight for their size. You must also have the ability to maintain that weight. Patients should be in good general health and commit to quitting before and after surgery.
With this procedure, patients often feel more confident about their bodies in a variety of different situations.
Before and During the Procedure
Before undergoing gynecomastia, you will have a consultation with Dr. Rodolfo Castillo board-certified plastic surgeon in Mexico. He will discuss your Medical History, so prepare to answer questions about past and current medical conditions, previous surgeries realistic expectations, and take photographs of your breasts for your medical record.
In order to reduce the shape and size of the breast, Dr. Rodolfo Castillo requires insertion of a cannula, a thin hollow tube, through several small incisions. The cannula is moved back and forth in a controlled motion to loosen the excess fat and blood, which is then removed from the body by vacuum suction.
After the Procedure and Recovering
After gynecomastia surgery, Dr. Rodolfo Castillo will be given specific instructions that include how to take care, medications to apply in order to reduce potential infections.
Following your gynecomastia surgery, Dr. Rodolfo Castillo will recommend you to:
- Do not lift heavy objects
- Patients may need to wear a compression garment under their clothing for a few weeks
- Strenuous exercise should be avoided for three to six weeks following procedure
- Keep your pectorals out of the sun. Afterward, protect your incisions during sun exposure
- In case of any infection, wash the wound with soap and water. If discomfort persists, contact your Patient Care Coordinator